Open topic with navigation
The Purge Searches service task is responsible for deleting empty searches and has the ability to remove results data.
If you find you have searches that did not return any results, (total matches were 0), you may want to remove those searches from the console. Run the Purge Searches service task to remove the searches, which can also remove results data because as endpoints send their search results up to the console, they are stored in the database. Storing a large amount of results in the console database can take up a lot of space if they accumulate over time which in turn may slow the performance of the console. You can set a filter to purge specific searches as described below.
The following options are available:
- Information - This text field is used to provide a description of the purpose of the Purge Results task being created and is only present to help users manage their tasks.
- Filter - A filter can be applied to help identify the correct data points. To apply a filter simply click on the filter option from the drop down, select the filter to use, then configure the sub-options for each filter type and click Apply. To apply multiple filters click the gray split button. The following filter options are available:
- Endpoint Name - A filter that allows selection based on text matching endpoint names.
- Endpoints - A filter that allows selection of specific existing endpoints from the endpoints list.
- Search End - A filter which restricts based on the time that the search ended. This is the search start time + the search duration. e.g. A search that began at 09:00 and ran for 45 minutes would have a Search End time of 9:45.
- Search Start - A filter which restricts based on the time that the search began. If the (All day) option is selected, the time portion of the filter will not display. If the (All day) option is not selected, the time portion of the filter will display and be applied. The Search Start can be found by going to the Results tab, selecting Filter from the View Ribbon Group, click "Filter by Searches" and view the Search Time column.
- Search User Name - A filter which restricts based on an objects user name information, when available.
- Search Users - A filter which restricts by selecting specific user name information already collected for existing objects.
- Source Endpoint Name - A filter that allows selection of source endpoints based on text matching source endpoint names.
- Source Endpoints - A filter that allows selection of specific existing source endpoints from the source endpoints list.
- Task Name - The task that initiated the search.
- Purge only empty searches - When this option is selected, no results will be purged, only empty searches matching the filter. This option is enabled by default. If this option is not enabled a Filter must be applied or the task will not remove any data.
- Location - This option will only display if you have chosen to replicate your database prior to installation of the console, but will be disabled for this service task.
- Resume when no other tasks are pending - When selected, the "Repeat task every:" is ignored when no tasks are pending and the task starts immediately.
Maximum task run time: Specify the amount of time that the service task has to complete. For example, if you set the Maximum task run time to 5 minutes, after 5 minutes has elapsed from the time the service task first executes, the service job will stop and its status will show as Aborted. The default setting is indefinitely. The following options are available:
- Indefinitely - The task will run until completion.
- Minutes - Set the number of minutes the service task has to complete. If the service task does not complete within the allotted time it will abort.
- Hours - Set the number of hours the service task has to complete. If the service task does not complete within the allotted time it will abort.
- Days - Select the number of days the service task has to complete. If the service task does not complete within the allotted time it will abort.
Note: To create the Purge Searches service task, a user must be assigned to a Role which has the following General Permissions:
- Results - Display Results Tab
- Service Tasks - Manage Purge Searches
- Various - Delete Data