Forum Home Forum Home > User Discussions and Community Support > Policies and Settings for Enterprise Clients
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Endpoint version updating on console

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djc6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 3:32pm
I'm not a big fan of this solution, but its better than nothing.  It implies all of the clients will be reachable when I want to run the report.  I would rather when the endpoint service starts that it just notify the console what version/platform it is (the platform is important too).

The IDF proposed solution seems no different than scheduling a one-time scan on all the machines and configuring them to scan nothing, which would update the version info in the console.  The only reason I don't do this is because I have no way of only running the scan on endpoints with relatively new versions of IDF - old versions when configured to do a one-time scan do weird things like scan daily.

I'd like to know that if this service job route is taken, that running the service job on older endpoints won't negatively impact them. If the service job is the only workable solution, then I guess go for it.

Edited by djc6 - 14 Feb 2011 at 10:12am
Karen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 10:05am
So why can't that service job just be added to the end of the installer - so as soon as the installer runs, it also runs that service job automatically - then we don't have to wait say an hour if that job runs hourly after an install... But having it as a service job allows us to run it whenever we want - but we also have the added knowledge of the version as soon as the update occurs as well - that is what I really want.
Identity Finder Team View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Identity Finder Team Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:05am
For anyone reading this thread, it is the same issue as discussed here:
http://www.identityfinder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28

To specifically address the most recent question here, the architecture of the clients is to pull information from the console (rather than the console pushing information to the clients).  The notification of an available client update is published on the server for the selected endpoints and then, based on their availability and polling interval, each client will download and apply the update on its own. 

The service job exists on the console, and therefore cannot run based on an event that occurs on the client.

Furthermore, the endpoint service launches the installation package which is then handled by the operating system (windows installer or mac os) which then takes over the process.

Finally, the information is again updated when a search occurs so it is not only when the service job fires.

We welcome continued discussions.
djc6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djc6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:23am
What would happen if a client wasn't on when the proposed service job was run?  Would the 'Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed' open from scheduled scans be available for this service job?  That would help ameliorate my concerns.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Identity Finder Team Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 1:25pm
The client would obtain the request to send the update the next time it polls after the service job has been executed.  If the client is off/not communicating at the time of the service job execution, it does not matter as the client will receive and process the request at its next poll.

There is no need for the "run task..." option/concept as that is not relevant.  Just to add some additional clarification - if a client is not communicating when a task is scheduled, it doesn't matter, it gets that request to execute the task at next poll.  The option you noted is necessary because if the request isn't obtained until the scheduled start time, the endpoint service needs to know if it should be executed or not - but the message from the console is still processed.

Hope that clarifies things for everyone.
tds17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tds17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 10:07am
What is the status of this? Is it going to be implemented via an additional Service Job?

It is true that after a scan the Windows version will update in the Console. We are not seeing this with the latest Mac version however.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Identity Finder Team Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:32pm
Because the feedback on the service job was not especially positive, we re-designed the solution.  Starting with version 5.0 of the clients, the endpoint service will report version information each time it is started.  After an install, the service is restarted and will therefore report its updated version at that time.  Since the version cannot change without the service being restarted, there is no need to send the information with every poll.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Identity Finder Team Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:33pm
As noted in the other thread concerning this topic (http://www.identityfinder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28&PID=288#288):

Because the feedback on the service job was not especially positive, we re-designed the solution.  Starting with version 5.0 of the clients, the endpoint service will report version information each time it is started.  After an install, the service is restarted and will therefore report its updated version at that time.  Since the version cannot change without the service being restarted, there is no need to send the information with every poll.
dwoodruff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwoodruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 11:35am
I wanted to give feedback on this new feature - I love it! It is making tracking down old endpoints much easier, especially in the areas of our organization that are still testing the software and do not have a large scale roll out with scheduled searches yet. Thank you for implementing this change. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic