Forum Home Forum Home > User Discussions and Community Support > Operations and Usage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Performance of scheduled search vs on demand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwoodruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Performance of scheduled search vs on demand
    Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 1:16pm
Some of my users are reporting that monthly scheduled searches have a larger performance impact on their machines than one-off searches they run on demand. This hasn't been the case for me personally, and I feel it may be a case of the user perceiving their machine to be slower because they're trying to use it for other things during the scheduled searches, but when they're running an on demand scan, they're more focused on Identity Finder than other tasks.

The monthly searches use the exact same policy as an on demand search would. In fact, many departments do not even have any specific policy settings other than the search schedule.

Is anyone else getting similar reports from their users?

Cheers,
Dan
JClampett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JClampett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 11:36am
We are also experiencing end-user searches bogging down machines.

For example. A freshly imaged laptop with an i7 3rd gen processor and 8 GB of ram came to a crawl because of the scheduled identity finder search.

Even though we have the policy set to only use 1 processor core and set at a low priority, it was using all cores and using 100% of the CPU.

Literally had screen tearing and programs unresponsive.

It's not for all machines, but specific models tend to get impacted more-so than others.
Identity Finder Team View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Identity Finder Team Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 11:29am
Hello - if you have not already, please open a support ticket.  If the policy is set to explicitly use only 1 CPU, then it should not be using all cores and there may be conflicting settings that the support team can assist you with investigating.  http://support.identityfinder.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic