Forum Home Forum Home > User Discussions and Community Support > Policies and Settings for Enterprise Clients
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wildcard usage in Global Ignore Locations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wildcard usage in Global Ignore Locations
    Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 8:41am
Hi folks,
We have files we would like to globally ignore that reside inside a users local profile.  How do we exclude all files of a specific name wherever they reside?  We would like to include this information for all computers, so plan to add this to the System Policy for all computers in the Global Ignore List.
Thanks,
Randi
Identity Finder Team View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Identity Finder Team Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:28am
Hello-  You can ignore all files of a specific name wherever they reside by entering a filen ame without a path into a Global Ignore List and assigning that list to your System Policy.
meoge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meoge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 3:05pm
How can we ignore an entire folder.  For example c:\program files\webapps\
I essentially want it to ignore everything in that directory and all it's sub directories.
mot1psu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mot1psu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 3:38pm
You can do this by going under your policy or policies, and under Search Locations -> Custom Folders you add the path as an Exclude there.

To help you get started, I have included some common areas that we Exclude and Include for Windows and Mac. The nice thing is that if you put all of these into one policy and either have it apply to All Endpoints, or use that policy as a template to import for individual policies for tags, the Custom Folders can go with it. This way you are not retyping this list multiple times.

I would also recommend taking a look at your results on the console, do some filtering or a report to find so other areas that would good to exclude because of false positives.

This is what we consider to be the minimal exclusion list for Mac and Windows.
C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)
C:\Windows
C:\dell
C:\Drivers
C:\i386
C:\MSOCache
C:\System Volume Information
C:\winnt
C:\programdata
C:\Users\System
C:\Users\Default
/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb
/.fseventsd /.Spotlight-V100 /Applications /bin /Developer /etc /Library /mach_kernel /opt /private /sbin /System /usr

We also have Includes for:

C:\Windows\Temp C:\Windows\CSC

Hope that helps,

Mike
meoge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meoge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 12:05pm
Do these exclusions show up in the client GUI for the end user.  I'm trying to verify that my changes have taken effect, but I don't see anything listed under custom folders in the client GUI
Identity Finder Team View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Identity Finder Team Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 12:10pm
They do not show up in the client UI, but when you run a search, you should see that they aren't searched.  If you are having an issue, please feel free to open a ticket at support.identityfinder.com
mot1psu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mot1psu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 1:29pm
You should wait to ensure that the policy status of the endpoint shows as Up to Date on the console as well, so that all policy changes have been consumed.

The Custom Folders in the Client UI is different than the console policy section. The Client Custom Folders is for when Search Type is set to Custom, and you put your includes and excludes for the local system there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic